The focus for access right now is for emergency access and to allow people to get out; U.S. Route 4 from Killington to Woodstock will be open for eastbound traffic only from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. Seth called the road “tricky and treacherous” and indicated that traveling it would be slow and at the driver’s own risk.
To a round of applause, he thanked those who have volunteered to help with cleanup and also thanked Mosher Excavating for their work making the Route 4/River Road intersection passable.
East Mountain Road is closed except to emergency traffic, as the road has deteriorated with the traffic on it; Thundering Brook Road is open from US 4 to 100 N but only to essential traffic.
“Please don’t be a sightseer,” Seth asked. He elaborated that if repair crews have to deal with sightseers, that simply makes it that much harder to get done the work they need to get done. Sightseeing is especially discouraged at the destruction near Wheelerville Road in Mendon. Bicyclists are also encouraged to avoid work sites and only travel if necessary.
Food distribution will commence on Wednesday; the National Guard will be dropping in water and MREs with expected distribution around 1400 hours at the elementary school.
The Alpine Pipeline, which has leaked sewage, is being addressed; Otter Creek Engineering is currently working on both a temporary fix and a permanent solution, the latter likely to involve routing under the new roadway on US 4.
CVPS expects to have power restored to North Sherburne and West Hill areas Wednesday or Thursday and is addressing areas as they can reach them.
The only immediate need for volunteers is to pickup supplies in a convoy of 4×4 pickups. Tom White will be arranging this; the convoy will depart at 0630 from the Killington Deli (next to the post office). Approximately a dozen trucks will be used; the drivers are expected to be willing and able to handle terrain that requires a 4×4 truck.
Those with river damage and erosion encroaching and possibly compromising their homes or power sources were advised to call Todd Menes at the State of Vermont; his number is 802-786-5921.
Prescription pickups from Mendon are available. If Killington residents can call their prescriptions in to a Rutland pharmacy (preferably paying by credit card over the phone) and have them delivered to the Mendon Town Office, they will be shuttled to Killington later in the day, as per this update from Kathleen Ramsay:
If you need a prescription picked up, call 422-3473 or email email@example.com. First, please call your pharmacy and confirm the prescription, and pay over the phone via credit card and request that it be delivered to the Mendon Town Office. Participating pharmacies in Rutland include RiteAid, CVS Pharmacy, Walgreens, and Rutland Pharmacy. Any prescription paid by 11 am will be available in Killington at 1 pm, and prescriptions paid by 5 pm will be available at 7 pm. All prescriptions should be picked up at the Killington Fire House on the Access Road.
Rutland Pharmacy: 802-775-2545 Walgreens: 802-773-6980
CVS Pharmacy: 802-775-6736 RiteAid: 802-775-0132
Updates from the town office are being distributed via email, via flyers at the Post Office, Killington Market, Cliff’s Deli, and Town Offices on River Road; they are also being posted via the Mountain Times at mountaintimes.info. Sign-up for the email list is via the town website, killingtontown.com or by emailing Kathleen.
Travel from Woodstock to I-89 is possible although the road is not in perfect condition. Access to Rutland is via Woodstock to I-89, I-91 north to Vermont 103 to Rutland. Until further notice, traffic will only be allowed out to Woodstock, and only during prescribed windows. Return traffic will not be allowed.
100 south is not passable and is closed at the intersection with US Route 4.
Access to leave on Thursday or Friday is “likely but not definite” pending the condition of the road.
Seth described the lack of gasoline as a “priority we are working to address.” No plan is currently in place.
One member of the audience suggested that if people stopped sightseeing, they wouldn’t need gasoline.
No forecast for access to Rutland via Route 4 west (or alternate routes in that direction) is available.
The transfer station is currently without power and therefore inoperable.
The federal government agrees that this is a disaster area and will fund 75% of infrastructure repair. The state will fund 12.5%. We will have to find funding for the rest.
No information on help for individuals is available at this time.
In response to Seth’s request for a show of hands, roughly a third of those in the room indicated they were seriously considering the “emergency exit” plan via Woodstock.
To limit pressure on the roadway, Seth did request: “Please don’t leave if you don’t have to leave.”
Members of the crowd asked about return access and mentioned needing to work; Seth indicated that they are aware of this need but have no immediate plans to address it.
One resident whose house is cut off by a washed-out road asked about repairs to that road and other roads like it; Seth indicated that they were prioritizing those but did not have any timeframe on when work might be done.
Chris Nyberg gave a brief update on Killington Resort’s situation. The Killington Base Lodge did not fall down, but the Superstar Pub addition—which used to be a deck—did. He also said, “all of our assets are available for the use of the community.”
802-422-FIRE (802-422-3473) is the number to reach Killington’s Emeregency Management team at the fire station.]]>
When you get hit with two feet of Vermont powder in late October, you are experiencing one of those times. I got a hint of what was to come when, on the night of 25 October 2005, my car wouldn’t go all the way up the access road. I’ve worked at Bolton for over two years now and was living in Burlington until last April, and that’s the first time I’ve ever gotten stuck coming up the hill. Admittedly, it’s the first time I’ve tried to make my summer tires work in a snowstorm, but that just adds to the excitement.
In the interests of making it a longer hike rather than a shorter one, I decided to take the long way up–I started up the Bryant trail around 0915, reaching the Bryant Cabin in about half an hour. The Bryant Trail was generally in reasonable shape but quite damp in places; however, it didn’t have the amount of windfall damage I’d encounter later on the trip. I continued on Birch Loop and Raven’s Wind, stopping at Olga’s Falls just past 1000 for a couple of pictures, and reached the Long Trail, elevation 3190′, around 1025. A short ways into the Long Trail section of the hike, I caught up with Russ (one of the money-counting folks with whom I work), explaining the solitary set of bootprints that I had found on the trail to that point (most visible in the remaining snow drifts, which topped out around mid-shin and were probably washed away in the ensuing rains). We also passed animal sign of several varieties, although I’d be hard pressed to identify which prints and which scat went together.